This is hands down the cauliflower we gobble down. It is what you want when you only think you wanted a loaded baked potato or twice baked potato. It is comfort food.
FOODS THAT HEAL IN THIS RECIPE:
Cauliflower – Called one of the worlds healthiest food as it contains an impressive array of nutrients. Dr. Mercola lists 8 health benefits of cauliflower. Helps fight cancer, boosts heart health and brain health, its anti-inflammatory, has detoxification support and digestive benefit, has antioxidants and phytonutrients galore. rich in vitamins and minerals (vitamin C.vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese). Adding to cauliflower’s appeal is its extreme versatility. You can eat it raw, add it to salads, or use it in your cooking.
Onions – Onions have a variety of health benefits. The phytochemicals in onions help improve your immunity. They contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar. Onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections. Use the juice of an onion for relief from a bee sting. A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer. By using a low heat method to prepare onions in a soup, you can preserve the health benefits because the quercetin does not degrade. It simply transfers into the broth of the soup. So don’t throw away that broth! Drink it! Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers. Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, so use them, don’t throw them away.
Greek Yogurt – Unsweetened, full fat Greek yogurt is one of the healthiest yogurts that you could add to your diet as a diabetic as it’s very low in sugar and contains a very high amount of protein. Rich in Vitamin D, it is protein-rich and stabilizes blood sugar while soothing inflammation. It also reduces stress on the overall immune system. Pair this with some fresh berries and flaxseeds or sliced almonds for the perfect snack to help control your blood sugar levels. Substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream in all your recipes.
- 1 large head cauliflower (5 cups)
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup minced green onions
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices bacon, crispy and crumbled (divided)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook and crumble bacon (see note below).
- Get your steamer ready. Prepare cauliflower by cutting out the stem/core from the cauliflower and break or cut into small pieces.
- Place prepared cauliflower pieces into steam basket. Cook until very tender approximate 5-7 minutes. You should be able to put your fork in and remove it very easily. When done, move cauliflower from steamer to a mixing bowl. Mash with your potato masher. There may be small piece. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Add to mashed cauliflower the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, Parmesan and stir until combined. Add green onion and ¾ of the crumbled bacon.
- Spread evenly in a medium-sized glass casserole or baking dish (9 inch square). Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and the reserved bacon.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Cauliflower - Yes, you can put your cauliflower in water to cook it and have all the nutrients go into the water. Steaming is easy and better for you.
Calories 177 |Fat 14g |Carbs 6g |Fiber 2g |Sugar 1g |Protein 9g
[…] recipe. Cauliflower is the new ‘it’ veggie. I have made a pizza crust, I have made it “loaded”, I have steamed it, I have riced it to name a few and I have yet to find one I wouldn’t make […]